Thursday, October 28, 2010

Analyze your online privacy and security practices and outline a plan for making yourself safer online.



Because there is so much danger in the world we also need to be careful when using the Internet and not trust everything we see or every piece of information we get. In my case, I own a Mac computer so the amount of viruses that affect this system are relatively low, therefore I do not need an antivirus installed in my computer, but I am still careful by keeping my firewalls and Spam alerts on their highest points. When using the Internet I avoid pages that seem off and only use search engines that can be trusted. Another precaution I take is that I never save my personal information on the computer, not even my own, nor leave my accounts ‘logged on’. I also change my passwords for all services (banks, Facebook, emails) every certain time so I can decrease the risk of having a hacked account. It is important to be very cautious and alert to anything that may seem different in our accounts, so even with the emails I am careful too. I do not open emails from unknown senders nor from advertisers. This decreases my chances of downloading something harmful into my computer and avoiding situations in which you might get ripped off. Upon receiving messages from unknown sources, they are immediately reported as spam so this saves me a lot of time and trouble.

With social networks, we must also be extremely careful. There is NO need whatsoever to put all of your information on Facebook or any other site; therefore my information is kept to the minimum on these sites. (no phone numbers, addresses nor emails). I also keep my Facebook extremely private by creating groups and putting restrictions on them, that way my information is shown only to those who know me well. I do not accept all friend requests, especially the ones that come from people whom I do not know and every aspect and application of my facebook is kept under the most private setting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment